Definition of leadership:
· School leadership” is the process of enlisting and guiding the talents and energies of teachers, pupils, and parents toward achieving common educational aims. This term is often used synonymously with educational leadership in the United States and has supplanted educational management in the United Kingdom”. Wikipedia
· Leadership is "organizing a group of people to achieve a common goal.”
· "Leadership occurs when one person induces others to work toward some predetermined objectives." Massie
· "A manager takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don't necessarily want to go but ought to." Rosalyn Carter
Definition of Human relationship:
· Human relationship: An interpersonal relationship is an association between two or more people that may range from fleeting to enduring. Human relationships are formed on different circumstances; it could be cultural, social family, friendship, work and social groups. Leadership and human relation go side by side, you cant chose between them, and you have to choose them altogether.
Leadership is all about relationship, there is a good leader behind every successful task, and tool of every successful leader is good human relationship. A leader inspires other with his character and earned the trust with whom he interact. He gives respect to his staff members and treats them like a family. He knows the problems of staff members and helps them at the time of crisis.
Relationships involve some level of interdependence between two parties and people in a relationship tend to influence each other by different means; share their thoughts and feelings, and engage in activities together with trust.
Educational leadership depends on human relation, it all about relationship at every level, Relationship with teaching staff, administrative staff and students. Without good relation with teacher it is impossible for a leader to achieve good academic result. Without the help of administrative staff and teachers it is almost impossible to run a school in proper order, teachers are the soul of a school and without the help of them the school would be a chaos. Therefore good relations between leader and his school teachers are very important for the improvement of school and the over-all performance of teachers.
Teacher student relationship is also very important. A good relation between them will lead the school to better performance and academic achievements, which will be success on the part of leader, therefore it is the responsibility of a leader to provide them better environment where teacher and students could develop better relationship. Get together from time to time and tour of teachers and students outside the school. Arrange co-curricular activities in the school where teacher and student both participate.
Relationship of the leader with his colleagues in educational institute:
Milo Stuart states, “The relation of the principal to his teachers should be the most intimate of any. If a teacher fails, the principal fails; if the teacher succeeds, the principal succeeds. To sum up what the principal’s job is, I shall call him a referee the captain of the ship the boss of the firm a juvenile judge before whom tribunal come out not only the culprits but the adults who frequently contribute to the pupil’s shortcomings. He is a promoter who must project the future of his institution and convert the public to his plan. He is a social physician to every parent who has wayward son who needs attention. He is a friend in need to pupils and to all the homes in which misfortune comes. His power, his activities, even the good he does, can not be measured by a material yardstick.”
The role of the leader in educational institution is very Delicate and critical. He keeps his relation with all stakeholders of the school and keeps balance in them, fighting and quarrelling students, reluctant and difficult teachers and complaining parents. The leader will establish good relation between all of them. He seeks their whole hearted cooperation in all the activities of the school, academic, co-curricular and administrative.
In leadership and human relation lot of things are common,
- I admit I made a mistake: take blame for the failure
- You did a good job: appreciate other for the success
- What is your opinion: open to suggestion from others
- If you please: give respect to others
- We: sharing responsibility
- Minimum use of the word "I"
- One who cannot empathize with others will never become a true leader.
- Khaki, J., & Safdar, Q. (2010). Educational leadership in Pakistan: ideals and realities. Karachi: Oxford University Press
- M. Sultan Mohiyuddin,(1999) School Organization and Management Lahore, West Pakistan Publishing company Ltd.
- Rao Ush, (1991) Education technology Bombay, Himaliya publishing house
- 1.6, a. f., respectively), 2., & between, (. t. (n.d.). ANALYTIC HIERARCHY ANALYSIS OF LEADERSHIP SKILLS IN EDUCATION AS RATED BY SELECTED EDUCATION, COMMUNITY, AND BUSINESS MEMBERS IN.
Google. Retrieved May 23, 2011, from
- Muhammad, S. (2008). Education: Leadership in Islamic Perspective. Education.Retrieved May 24, 2011, from http://research-education-edu.blogspot.com/search/label/Leadership%20in%20Islamic%20Perspective